3 Oil Tank Maintenance Tips During TheSummer
Heating oil tanks are simple pieces of equipment, but they do need at least a little attention to run reliably from year to year. Here are three things you should do in the coming weeks to get your oil storage tank ready for next heating season:
- Give it a once-over – Look for obvious signs of wear. Some things to look out for:
- Signs of rust
- Corroded, buckled, or bent tank legs or leg brackets
- Cracks or damage to the tank platform that might affect stability
- Warps, dents, weeping or wet spots on the sides of the tank
- Get a professional inspection – Even a thorough visual inspection won’t reveal every problem your tank might have, which is why you should schedule a tank inspection from a trained professional ever year. But beware: not all inspections are created equal! At Oehlert Bros., we perform a 25-point visual inspection that follows guidelines from the National Oilheat Research Alliance (NORA) to make sure your family, property and investment are protected.
- Schedule a heating oil delivery – A tank that contains more air than fuel encourages the formation of condensation (water droplets) on the tank’s interior walls as seasonal temperatures change. This condensation creates two big problems for your heating system: first, damp conditions encourage bacteria growth in your fuel, which will eventually degrade your heating oil to a thick sludge that will jam your fuel lines and diminish efficiency. Second, accumulated moisture will eventually sink to the bottom of your steel oil tank (since water is heavier than oil) and corrode it from the inside out – a problem you won’t see coming until it’s too late.
Need a heating oil delivery or heating oil tank inspection in Eastern PA? We can help. Contact Oehlert Bros. today to schedule your heating oil tank service or heating oil delivery in Eastern Pennsylvania.
Oehlert Brothers Inc. – proudly serving Limerick, Berks County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Eagleville, Pottstown, Phoenixville, Norristown, Oaks, Royersford, Schwenksville and Trappe, PA.