Seven Ways to Get Your Home Cooling System Ready for Action
Now that spring is in full swing here in Pennsylvania, it’s time to start looking forward to the warm days and nights ahead (they will arrive…we promise!). The question is, will your central air conditioner or ductless mini-split system be ready for the challenge when those days and nights finally arrive?
Here are seven things you can do to prepare for the cooling season to come:
- Clear debris away from your outdoor compressor unit – Remove sticks, leaves, and other wind-blown objects from around your outdoor condenser unit.
- Check your ductwork – Look for visible cracks and leaks, but consider sealing your ducts for even better efficiency and lower home energy bills (since up to 20 percent of the air you paid to cool can escape through leaks you can’t see).
- Clean or change your air filters – Clogged air filters can rob your A/C of efficiency, reduce air circulation and comfort in your home, and even lead to more costly repairs and breakdowns. Start the season off with a new filter, and don’t forget to check it every month during the cooling season (hint: a filter change is included in your annual maintenance visit – see #5 below).
- Briefly run your A/C unit – Check for easily identifiable operating problems – warm air coming from your vents, unusual sounds, smells, and noises, etc. Also, listen to your compressor for obvious knocks and pings.
- Schedule maintenance – An annual tune-up by an expert technician will more than pay for itself by helping to keep your A/C system running better for longer.
- Sign up for Cooling Premium Coverage – If you want an even more bang for your HVAC buck, sign up for Cooling Premium Coverage from Oehlert Bros. You’ll get a comprehensive tune-up, priority service, parts and labor on all covered repairs, and much more.
- Check in on upgrades – If your home cooling system is into its second decade, it could be time to look into a cooling system upgrade. Today’s high efficiency, whisper-quiet systems can save you 30 percent or more on your bills every month – enough to offset your investment in just a few years (especially when you consider our specials and other incentives).
Contact us today to beat the Memorial Day crowds and get your annual A/C Service – and if you’re ready to make the leap into a new home cooling system, contact us for a FREE estimate!