Seven Ways to Save Energy and Money This Summer
Looking for great ways to stay comfortable with lower energy bills this summer? Here are seven ways to save this cooling season.
- Install window reflectors – Absorbed heat from the sun can make your air conditioner overwork to keep your house cool. When you install light-reflecting window treatments, you minimize the greenhouse effect in sun-exposed rooms (using light colors for your roof can help, too).
- Use your ceiling fans – Moving air feels cooler – which means that by operating ceiling fans in tandem with your air conditioner, you can raise your thermostat setting a couple of degrees without sacrificing comfort, and at a much lower cost. That can save you hundreds of dollars in a cooling season.
- Cool in moderation – What makes you feel cool when you go inside on a hot day is the difference between the temperatures of the outdoor and indoor air, not a number on your thermostat. That means you can actually run your air conditioner a little warmer on hot days without sacrificing comfort.
- Use your programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats let you run your A/C a little warmer at night and when no one is home – which will make a noticeable difference in your bills. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, get one – the energy you save will usually offset the cost of the unit within a year.
- Dehumidify your indoor air – Properly humidified air feels cooler – so try a whole house dehumidifier to keep humidity at a comfortable 40 to 50 percent (compared to the 70-80 percent or more that Pennsylvania can reach in the summer).
- Maintain your A/C – Never skip annual maintenance! To keep your air conditioner running at its best and avoid costly, unexpected repairs, we recommend our Premium Cooling Plan.
- Upgrade to a high efficiency A/C unit – If your air conditioner is 10 years old or more, then you could be spending up to 40 percent more than you should every month to keep your house cool! Today’s high efficiency central air conditioners can achieve efficiency ratings well into the 90 percent range – which means that a new unit will pay for itself in just a few years while providing greater comfort and reliability as soon as you install it.
Now is a great time to upgrade your central air conditioner and save up to $200 on an installation! Contact us for details and a FREE no obligation estimate!