Save Money with These 10 Summer Efficiency Tips for Your PA Home
Posted: June 10, 2019
Summer 2019 is upon us – time to crank up your central air conditioner or ductless mini-split system and enjoy the cool comforts of home.
Just remember to do it smartly!
Try these 10 cost-effective tips to help you cool your Limerick, PA-area home for less this summer.
- Cool selectively – If you have central air conditioning, close vents in rooms you don’t use, or consider installing a zoned cooling system. If you have a ductless mini-split system, adjust thermostats or power off your air handlers in rooms you use less frequently.
- Avoid using appliances that make heat – Reduce or avoid using ovens, clothes dryers, and other heat-making appliances, especially on the hottest days.
- Turn down the thermostat when no one is home – Use your programmable thermostat to run your house slightly warmer when no one is home: you can expect to save about 3-5 percent per day on air conditioning bills for each degree you raise the thermostat, says the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
- Shoot for 78 degrees – When you’re home, target a temperature of about 78 degrees – a temperature the Department of Energy says represents the best balance of comfort and energy savings.
- Supplement your A/C with fans – By running ceiling fans, you can raise your thermostat by about four degrees with no loss of comfort. See #3 above for how much that can save you!
- Change air filters regularly – A dirty air filter cuts airflow, causing your air conditioner to overwork. Check your HVAC filter monthly, replacing or cleaning it when needed.
- Install window treatments – Window treatments that reflect solar heat can reduce your home’s cooling load. Check out this Department of Energy link to learn more about energy saving window treatments.
- Get routine A/C maintenance – Performing routine A/C maintenance won’t just keep your equipment running better, it will also help prevent premature equipment breakdown.
- Insulate – Without sufficient insulation, summer heat will simply move through your exterior walls, further taxing your A/C and raising your cooling bills.
- Consider making sensible A/C upgrades – A new high efficiency air conditioner can save you 30 percent on your monthly bills compared to your older model, which means it will pay for itself in just a few years.
Our experts can help you choose a cooling system that’s a perfect match for your home and lifestyle, with options available from quality manufacturers in all sizes and configurations. We’ll help you sort through your rebate options, too so you’ll get the most for your money.
Contact Oehlert Bros. today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on a new high efficiency cooling system for your Pennsylvania home!
Oehlert Brothers Inc. – proudly serving Limerick, Bucks County, Montgomery County, Chester County, Eagleville, Pottstown, Phoenixville, Norristown, Oaks, Royersford, Schwenksville and Trappe, PA