Improving Indoor Air Quality in Your Home
Did you know that the air in your home could contain up to 100 times more pollutants than outdoor air? Considering the fact that you inhale about 15,000 quarts of indoor air every day, that’s a scary number.
The good news is you can significantly improve air quality in your home by making some smarter shopping choices. Here are 6 easy ways to clear the air in your home:
- Go green – Adding live plants to your living space helps to remove toxic chemicals and vapors. They look great, too!
- Use healthier cleaning products or make your own – Avoid using harsh, solvent-based cleaners or cleaners with strong fragrances, which are loaded with toxins. One great way to do that? Make your own. Vinegar and baking soda are great natural cleaning agents that can do it all – from disinfecting counters to cleaning sinks and more.
- Choose healthier materials for remodeling projects – If you’re planning construction, choose mold resistant (paperless, fiberglass covered) drywall or gypsum board, and use low-VOC paint. VOCs (volatile organic compounds) can cause eye and respiratory tract irritation, headaches, dizziness, visual disorders, and memory impairment.
- Make sure your hobby room is well ventilated – Activities like paint stripping, soldering, gluing, painting, and wood finishing can create high levels of indoor air pollution, so make sure you do them in an extremely well ventilated room. Better yet, do them outside.
- Have your HVAC system cleaned regularly – One of the best ways to keep your air healthy is to service your heating and A/C systems regularly.
- Consider installing a whole-house Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) solution – If budget allows, there are many wonderful options for keeping your home air clean and healthy. A whole house humidifier or whole-house dehumidifier will discourage mold growth, while an ultraviolet (UV) germicidal light filter system will kill most airborne bacteria and virtually all airborne mold spores. Investing in a quality whole house indoor air purifier is also a great way to keep your home air clean and healthy.
These whole-house Indoor Air Quality systems are surprisingly affordable – especially when you consider Oehlert’s great coupons and discounts.
Contact us today for a FREE estimate for your home!