Humidity Control with Aprilaire
Posted: March 18, 2012
Keeping your home’s humidity levels consistent can significantly improve the health and comfort of your home. In general, when it comes to feeling comfortable in your home nothing affects a body’s perception of comfort more than the humidity level.
Industry experts report that keeping your home’s humidity between 30-60% can reduce the effects of many unwanted conditions. Too much humidity or too little humidity can not only lead to an unhealthy home, but also cause permanent damage to your home and belongings.
When There is Too Little Humidity the Following Occurs:
- You begin to experience chronic physical symptoms such as sore throats, dry/itchy skin, nose bleeds, or sinus irritation.
- Your home’s wood floors begin to shrink and crack, and the joints in the wood furniture become loose or fail.
- The wallpaper peels, while your paint or plaster starts to crack.
- Annoying and painful static shocks begin to occur.
- You still feel cold even though your thermostat is cranked up, and so is your energy bill.
- Your piano and other musical instruments begin to fall out of tune.
When There is Too Much Humidity…
- Your skin feels clammy, sweaty, or sticky.
- Musty smelling odors begin to invade your living space.
- Wood floors, trim, or wood furniture warps or rots; and paint peels.
- Condensation, frost, or ice form on the inside surface of your windows; and water pipes sweat.
- Damp spots, mold, and mildew form on ceilings or walls.
- Your allergies or asthma get worse due to the mold, mildew, and dust mites.
- Your house becomes a breeding ground for termites, cockroaches, and other pests.
What You Can Do:
- Use ventilation fans in kitchens and bathrooms. Make sure that your fans are venting directly outside.
- Cover dirt floor crawlspaces under your house with plastic. This acts as a vapor barrier.
- Also make sure your dryer is vented to the outside. Don’t dry wet clothes on drying racks in the house. If possible air dry them outdoors.
- Ensure air conditioning drip pans are clean, and drain lines are unobstructed.
- Fix any water leaks in pipes, toilets, showers, etc.