Is A Mini-Split Cooling System Right For Me?
Believe it or not, we’ve passed the midpoint of spring – which means heat and humidity will soon descend on eastern PA. If you own a house without central air conditioning, you’ll probably soon be lugging heavy window A/Cs out of the basement or attic for another year of light-blocking, floor rattling performance.
But there is another way.
If your home doesn’t have ductwork but you still want a quiet, efficient way to cool it, why not try a mini-split air conditioning system?
What Is A Mini-Split A/C?
Mini-split air conditioning systems (also called ductless systems) are a cost-effective alternative to ugly, noisy, and inefficient window A/C units – and sometimes even to central air conditioners.
They’re the perfect option for homes that have hot water baseboard heating rather than ductwork – and a great way to add A/C to hard-to-cool rooms and home additions.
Benefits Of A Mini-Split A/C
Compared to traditional central and window-mount cooling systems, mini-splits are:
- Easier to install – Mini-splits include three components: an indoor air handler, an outdoor condenser (or heat pump, if you want a heating solution, too), and a pipe to connect the two. Air handlers mount to your wall permanently, so no more moving heavy window units every year! All that’s needed to install your mini-split system is wall space and a small, three-inch hole in an exterior wall to run a connector pipe. The whole process can be completed in a single day by a qualified A/C technician.
- Cheaper to run – Ductless systems are more efficient than window units (often by three SEER points or more) and easier to drive than central air units, which means you’ll spend less on energy to keep them running.
- Easier to customize – Have a problem room that you just can’t cool? Add a powerful air handler and consider that problem room solved. A single condensing unit can power up to four air handlers, each of which can be custom-sized to meet the cooling load of your rooms.
- Better for your health – Ductwork is a breeding ground for mold, bacteria, and allergens, with condensation and cool air combining to create a perfect storm for poor air quality. With no ducts, you’ll avoid those problems entirely – just change your filters regularly and you’re good to go.
- Better for the planet – Efficient ductless systems use less electricity, which means you’ll be reducing the amount of coal, natural gas, and nuclear energy you’re using (since that’s the way energy is generated here in Pennsylvania). Mini-splits also use a refrigerant called R410A, which is more environmentally friendly than other refrigerants.
Ready for a big upgrade to your window A/Cs, or need a cooling system to supplement your central air conditioner for a new home addition? Install a Fujitsu mini-split system in your eastern Pennsylvania home! For a FREE, no-obligation estimate on a ductless system installation in eastern PA, contact the pros at Oehlert Brothers today.