How To Protect Against 5 Common Fall Allergens
While most people associate allergies with the spring, fall is also an allergy season – one with different challenges for managing and controlling exposure to allergens.
Here are five of the most common fall allergens you’re likely to encounter this fall, and what to do to reduce your suffering from them.
- Weeds – Fall weeds and decaying leaves cause most of autumn’s allergy problems. Pollen from fall weeds is typically smaller and more difficult to see than the spring variety, and can accumulate in the air of your home.
- Pets – In addition to their own dander, pets can carry in outdoor allergens any time they reenter your home. Bathe your pets more often in the fall (and spring) to reduce allergen exposure risk.
- Dust & Dust Mites – Dust mites are the number one indoor allergen; the more time you spend indoors, the higher the risk of allergy problems caused by these microscopic pests, which are most likely found in or around your upholstery and bedding.
- Mold – Mold thrives in the fall, since it’s nature’s key to breaking down fallen leaves. As it performs this important role, mold releases millions of spores into the air and onto the ground – and into your home via your clothing and shoes. You can reduce some exposure risk to fall mold by taking your shoes off when you come in the house.
- Cockroaches – The population of these pests tends to spike during the fall. Controlling their presence in your home is the key to managing this problematic allergen.
Just like in the spring, taking steps to minimize your exposure to fall allergens is crucial to reducing allergy suffering. But so is maintaining air quality in your home.
A whole house air cleaner or UV air purifier – professionally installed in tandem with your home HVAC system – can play a key role in removing or reducing the concentration of allergens in your indoor air, helping you to breathe easier and suffer less in the coming weeks and months. With everyone home more than usual this fall, that can be an important part of your quality of life!
Don’t suffer with allergens this fall – contact Oehlert Bros. today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on Indoor Air Quality equipment installations in Montgomery County, PA!