5 Common A/C Problems
Posted: June 20, 2016
Summer’s here – which means it’s time to take on the heat in what experts are expecting to be a very hot season.
The question is, will your A/C be up for the battle?
As we hit the dog days of July and August, you’ll need to run your AC through its paces – and schedule routine service, if you haven’t done so already. Along the way, here are some of problems you may encounter, and what to do with them if you do.
If your A/C isn’t running at all:
- Make sure your thermostat setting is:
- In the “AC” or “cool” position, or turned to “fan”
- Set for at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature
- Make sure all circuit breakers are turned on
- Make sure power switches are on in both the outdoor and indoor units
If your A/C is running, but not as efficiently or cool as you think it should, try:
- Making sure filters and coils are clean. Keep air intakes clear to ensure adequate airflow and prevent your unit from overworking.
- Looking for efficiency issues – If you notice poor output from vents and higher than usual bills, you might need service. Improperly maintained equipment can lose 5-10 percent efficiency or more every cooling season.
- Making sure windows and doors are closed – if your A/C is overworking unnecessarily, it could lead to higher bills (and eventually costly repairs).
- Making sure your A/C unit is right-sized – If you’ve built an addition to your home and haven’t upgraded your air conditioner, it may have to work too hard to cool your space. The same unnecessary wear and tear can occur if your unit is oversized, since constant on/off cycling will tax the compressor and fan controls.
- Checking for refrigerant leaks – If your refrigerant is low, it’s probably due to poor installation or a leak. Either way, you’ll need a trained technician to service your cooling system. After testing the repair, your technician can recharge your system with the right amount of refrigerant.
Still having problems? Contact Oehlert Brothers today for service – or even a new air conditioning system for your home!